C’arch Architecture + Design
8MD1 is uniquely located to act as a link between the waterfront and the educational & commercial campus inland, effectively integrating the entire Phase 2 development. The aim is to create a development that does not compete, but complements and supports the waterfront development. Whilst the waterfront is seen as a larger and more public audience, 8MD1 is conceived as a more intimate and local destination.
The key approaches to achieving this goal are :
- Complement and enhance the high-street approach into the heart of Ph 2 development.
- Maintaining and emphasizing key axis across all 3 parcels.
- Open out and eliminate the shoplot "backlane" to reclaim valuable ground level space.
- Create a series of more intimate and informal communal courtyards as Urban Living Rooms for the residential, student and business community (in contrast with the more public spaces in 8MD2).
- Providing an inner pedestrian route, linking the central civic and cultural centre of 8MD2 via the Urban Living Rooms of 8MD1 to the linear park, leading to the proposed ferry jetty.
- Provide gateways as visual and pedestrian links into the pedestrian link and ULRs, to encourage cross traffic circulation.
- Extend the proposed student accommodation along the length of the development to act in tandem with the residential and proposed hotel to evenly populate the development at all hours.